Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cornbread and Black-Eyed Peas

With my Scotch-Irish roots, I make it a point of eating some cabbage and corned beef on New Years. Add in the Southern tradition of black-eyed peas for good luck and some hot, buttery cornbread and you've got yourself a hearty, belly-pleaser of a meal to kick off the new year.

Prior to cooking this meal, I made a tiny effort to start off 2013 using local and/or organic ingredients. I asked the butcher at the local grocery to tell me the difference between the conventional, non-organic corned beef I held in my hands and the organic beef roast that was leering at me from the meat case. Basically corned means pickled. Knowing I didn't have ten days to pickle the organic beef, I made a mental note for next year, averted my eyes, and abandoned the organic beef roast.

The black-eyed peas were from a can that was probably lined with BPA. The cabbage was organic, but I didn't note which country grew it. The cornbread was made from scratch using local farmer's eggs, local cornmeal, local butter, and organic milk.

On my calendar, I've marked December 6 as the day to buy beef brisket. I've added black-eyed peas and cabbage to my grocery to do list for the farmer's market in late December. For now I'll celebrate the cornbread!

No comments:

Post a Comment