Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mellow Yellow

While looking at the house with my realtor, at my request the previous owner had kindly left a copy of their utility bills on their table for me to review. For a house with one bathroom and two adult occupants, their water bill came in at a hefty $50+. My good friend that works at the Western Virginia Water Authority pointed to the old toilet and said the water bill would drop by about $20 if I got a new 1.6 gallon flush toilet.

Funding is not exactly dripping from my pockets these days and I won't settle for anything less than a $200 Toto toilet (the slippery finish, wide flush valve and large trapway ensure great performance and easy cleaning for a 1.6 gpf toilet), so I've had to be a little creative in the interim. Here's a little ditty I learned over 10 years ago, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." I'm willing to give anything a try, so I gave it a "go".

Vintage
In tracking my utility bills, my monthly water bill dropped from $45.38 to $33.40. Needless to say, I was impressed and committed to my strategy. For now, the old toilet remains. 

I try to remember to flush before visitors arrive, but I'm apologizing now if you find a little mellow yellow in my vintage toilet. You can just shake your head and know that I'm saving my pennies for a deluxe model toilet.



3 comments:

  1. The next time Chris gripes about the girls never flushing, I will reiterate to him that it is their way of saving us a little money from our water bill. If that doesn't work, I tell him to give you a call...Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother had that sign on his vintage bathroom in Lunalux, made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you put a plastic quart milk container in the toilets water tank, AND fill that milk bottle with water, then you have just displaced (saved) that amount every time you flush

    ReplyDelete